Search for tasks- type in keywords

Tuesday 4 April 2017

Replacement door latch?

You may recall that I had received a duff latch as a replacement part from Lotusbits. Although they kindly swapped this for another, they didn't want the old one back which was great as I thought that I thought something inside might be useful, so I dismantled it to see if it could be repaired/salvaged.

New Replacement latch as received -
"new latch" plate bent

Cross link visible under the back plate... and loose- it should be hidden!

The central rivet has been replaced but this doesn't seem to  have been strong enough- or perhaps nothing fitted  properly in this bent state, because a screw has been driven into the latch body forcing the plate over a little. 
New screw added to bodge everything into position and hold the top of the plate down.


Grind off head of replacement rivet

Remove latch cover
Innards in correct location-Hook latch and circular latch undisturbed


Rocking latch spring broken/misplaced


Spring removed and trimmed to a better length
Other side of latch- plates in position but very bent.
I removed both plates from the rear of the latch and carefully hammered both back into shape. I also had to file the plastic where the bodger's screw had been inserted before the plates would lie flat.


Hook plate orientation relevant to circular latch. Note pin on hook plate that penetrates through the plastic (top left) to fit into the footplate on the other side.


Spring below Latch note installed with bend towards centre. The latch itself rotates in the left hand groove below the spring.

Foot plate was cracked so I re-welded and ground back down to shape. It still seems to be a little loose vertically and could perhaps  lift off the pin from the hook latch. It seems to be OK at present though. I will investigate whether the footplate can be thickened on top without catching in the plastic body
I reassembled the latch, its pretty much as in my previous post on my repair of the latch that came with the car described here, but in order to help with reassembly I now present several views of the plates and how they are arranged.
Note:
1. The cross link fits into the slotted cutout on the internal handle plate.
2. The cresent plate on this side is positioned pointing to the  bottom of the lock, the smooth end is free and the notched end points in towards the plastic body
Handle lock plate correctly positioned- cross link held beneath plate. Temporary bolt holding latch together

Key lock Z plate. The tab at the bottom (attached to cross link) is the lock and will slip into the space above the footplate when the door is closed. It will not lock unless the circular latch has been turned to the closed position- in this pic it is in the open configuration and so there is no room for the lock plate to fit- it jams on the footplate (top centre).- note the blob of weld where I had to repair this plate too.- the blob doesn't get in the way so I left it.

Here the latch has been moved to the closed configuration. This withdraws the footplate and allows the locking plate to drop in beside it thus blocking its movement back up.


Key lock plate- distorted E clip bent into place temporarily top right (later replaced with 4.8mm E clip)
I firmly believe that there is a difference between a circlip, a snap ring and an E clip. These are E clips and have the internal flaps, circlips have a smooth contour and two eyes for opening them with pliers and a snap ring is a simple bent wire hoop - well in my view anyway. I don't like to see these confused- and for that matter split pins are not cotter pins! All this irritates me a bit... sorry rant over!  Anyway- the latch uses E clips and I need to replace one retaining the rod (top right). I have a pack of the usual sizes but none fitted so I compressed one into position as a temporary measure and investigated. This clip is now de-listed by Lotus (not sure why) but  apparently E clips are specified by the diameter of the shaft, not the groove into which they fit. This means I need 4.8mm or 3/16" E clips and these are readily available so I ordered a few.

I swapped the E clip when the right size came. The latch was functional now so I've stored it as a spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think of this blog. I'm working on my own here so any feedback from those Lotus enthusiasts floating around "Blogger Bank" is welcome. Suggestions for process improvements especially welcome. If you like it please follow.