Search for tasks- type in keywords

Tuesday 2 October 2018

Windscreen trim leather

Not much to say about this process, but the problem was that this year's ridiculous summer temperatures (and my own inefficient leather care program) meant the the leather windscreen surrounds had shrunk. The dash-top trim shortened and the  leather lining the side A pillars also shrank and shrivelled. 

LHS, leather trim peeled back from A pillar- this side wasnt as bad as the right.

I have previously made a leather coated plug to cover the side gaps between dash-top trim (see post) and A pillar- these are now too small and will need to be replaced.  The A pillar trim was more problematic- the leather was now stiff and hard so I treated it with conditioner every day for 2 weeks in an attempt to revive it and restore suppleness. The effect wasn't great but there was an improvement. I'd been told that repair of these pillars would be very hard because they were installed and bonded from the outside before the windscreen was fitted. I don't have that luxury but I managed to use Evostick impact adhesive using a small wooden spatula to spread a coat over the inside of the leather, the foam backing and the A pillar itself (wooden trim revealed here). You need to wait 5-10 min for it to go tacky before pressing the leather back into place. Finally I held the trim back in position using a strip of wood and a carpenters clamp. You may need to reach between windscreen and the face of the trim to push that short return into place. I clamped for 3 hours after which time the leather was stuck back in place. Its still more wrinkled than it was but its no longer the extreme eyesore I had previously.



Using a clamp to hold the trim back on the A pillar- note wooden strip to exert an even pressure.


RHS viewed from outside after repair- leather trim back in place.
I also bought some faux leather vinyl in blue to make any small patches required.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let me know what you think of this blog. I'm working on my own here so any feedback from those Lotus enthusiasts floating around "Blogger Bank" is welcome. Suggestions for process improvements especially welcome. If you like it please follow.